Tuesday, October 15, 2013

National Pregnancy and Infant Loss

In 1988, Ronald Reagan designated the month of October as "National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month" and later in 2002, October 15th became the official "Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day." The number of women affected by this type of loss is staggering, and I never in a million years would have imagined that I would one day be included in this "club." If you know of someone who has experienced this type of loss, I encourage you to let them know you remember their child. I personally can tell you that nothing means more to me than when someone tells me they still think and remember our littlest. Not to mention, I absolutely love to hear his name spoken aloud. That name makes me proud. So I encourage you to seek out that person you may know; I assure you it will warm their heart. 
I know that it does not take a special "day" to remember Landry and his life, because daily I am thankful for Landry and the impact he has made on our life. However, I am truly encouraged by this day and how it is a gentle reminder that you are not alone on this journey and so many other women walk this road of  loss and heartache. 
I came across this today and I think it fits with day perfectly: 
Remembering
by Elizabeth Dent.
Go ahead and mention my child,
The one that died, you know.
Don't worry about hurting me
Further.
The depth of my pain doesn't show.
Don't worry about making me cry.
I'm already crying inside.
Help me to heal by releasing
The tears that I try to hide.
I'm hurt when you just keep silent,
Pretending he didn't exist.
I'd rather you mention my child,
Knowing that he has been missed.
You asked me how I was doing.
I say "pretty good" or "fine."
But healing is something ongoing.
I feel it will take a lifetime.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Landry and Uncle Justin are always in our hearts. Beautiful post precious daughter.