Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Landry's Letter

This letter was read at Landry's funeral on July 28th.



Dear Mommy,

It’s so hard to know what to say to you, Mommy. You, who knew me better than anyone else. You, who loved me more than anyone could. You, who kept me warm and nourished. You, whose dreams for me were beyond all others. We will always have a special relationship, you and me, and I know that I will always have a special place in your heart.

I guess I just want to say thank you. Thank you for carrying me and feeding me as I grew inside you. Thank you for loving me even when I was kicking you in your ribs. Thank you for praying for me even when I was giving you heartburn. Thank you for loving me through everything, and thank you for the time we shared when no one else could.

I also want to let you know that you did all you could do for me. I couldn’t have asked for a better Mommy, and I could never have known, even if I lived to be 100, a better person than you. You are love. You are hope. You are inspiration. You are kindness, goodness, faithfulness. You are warmth. You are protection. You are…Mommy.

Of course Mommy, I couldn’t be your child without asking you to do a few things for me now that I can’t. First of all, thank Daddy and be there for him—you and I both know that he’s a crier, so wipe his tears as he cries for me. I know he joked that he wanted me to have blue eyes, but Mommy, he whispered to me once when he was holding me that he loved my brown eyes that I got from you. I was his brown-eyed boy and he was so proud of me. He loved me more than you can know, so thank him for me, Mommy. Thank Tyler for being a great big brother. I know you were looking forward to the day that I could follow him around and be his shadow. I will still be following him around, you just won’t see me. And you know, you can tease him every now and then and tell him that it’s from me.

Thank Poppy for sitting with me in the NICU—as you know, he’s a crier too, so hug him every chance you get for me. He needs that, and you do too. Thank Ghee for the love she showed me and the time she spent holding me and helping set up my room. I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance to stay there, but I know it would have been perfect. Thank Papa for being there for me and let him know that I would have gone to Harding too, even though Daddy wanted me to go to ACU. Thank Nana for staying up and holding me all night long and thank her for the love she showed me. Thank all my aunts and uncles and cousins. Tell them I will miss playing with them, but thank them for being your wonderful family and for loving you and me. Thank all your Supper Club friends for what they did for me. I’m glad I was able to be at Tyler’s party in the hospital and that their tears for you meant the world to me. Thank all your friends for their love, support, and prayers. Tell them that I don’t need them anymore because I am in a better place, but ask them to keep praying for you and everyone who is sad at my passing. Finally, thank the nurses and doctors at the hospital. Though I was just one of many children there, I felt that I was the most important one, and they loved and lost just like you. Thank them for doing all they could.

Mommy, do not worry about me. I fought as long as I could, but as you know, God has other plans for me. God brought me into this world for you and simply called me back to a better place. I know our time together was too short, but know that 43 hours with you was the greatest blessing God could ever give me. We were connected in the womb, and I know that we will always be connected in your heart. Thank you for allowing me to be you “littlest”. I love you and thank you for being my Mommy.

I’ll love you forever. I’ll love you for always.

Sincerely,
Your littlest, Landry James


(Thank you, Ryan for loving me and our boys and being able to write such a beautiful letter that captured everything about our littlest. I love you)

12 comments:

Ghee and Poppy said...

We love you too, Ryan. Not to mention the rest of your amazing family!

Sarah Erwin said...

That is so touching and beautiful. Ryan is just an amazing husband....very emotional night for me and I think that is one of the sweetest things I have ever read. Love you so much friend...so does Landry!!

Jen said...

beautiful letter. Ryan did an amazing job. Landry loves you and is always with you! praying for you dear friend.

Unknown said...

That's the most beautiful thing I have ever read. I am so sorry that it had to be written. It is so great that you have so much love in your family. That love will give you strength when you need it. Just lean on them and they will raise you up.

Avery said...

Reading the sweet letter brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing such a touching expression of love. Ryan's Aggie family continues to pray for all of you!

Jenn Pitts said...

Oh Holly, thank you so much for sharing Landry's story and Landry's letter. So beautiful. Your family's love and faith and Landry's life have made such an impact on so many people, probably more than you will ever know. I will continue to pray that God will just hold your heart in His loving hands.

Unknown said...

That letter was what I remember most from Landry's funeral. It is still vivid in my thoughts, and I love how well Ryan captured you. Holly, You are such a loving and fun spirit. *smile*

Shannon said...

Beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing Landry's story with us.

Sarah Erwin said...

Holly,
May you please email me (I would like your email address)?
My email is sarahdanae83@yahoo.com. Thank you precious girl!

Kim said...

Oh, I am in tears reading this incredible letter, Holly. Thank you for sharing it with us and for sharing Landry's story. God truly brings glory to Himself through your family... thank you for being His beautiful vessel.

Mary Beth said...

Wow - I am in a business meeting "surfing" online and just started crying. That was beautiful. So touching. Thank you for sharing it. I bet Landry is so thankful to your husband for writing that. He gave him a voice to share his love for you.

Stephanie Marsh said...

Though I don't know you, I ran across your site and read this letter. Tears are rolling down my face. I'm thankful that you have faith in the Ultimate Healer. God is faithful. Just under a year ago I lost my husband (32) in a car accident. My faith is the only thing that has kept me moving forward. God bless.