Thursday, December 23, 2010

Doing The Most Good- Part Two

Last Friday Morning I put on my Volunteer hat and passed out Christmas gifts with the Junior League for the Salvation Army. I dropped off Tyler at school and I made my way to the Salvation Army toy distribution site. When I drove up there were of line of people waiting in the cold to be able to get in side to get their Christmas gifts. When I was walking past them to go inside my heart broke for them and then I spotted several little babies and I really wanted to scoop those precious babies up and bring them inside with me.
The individuals that received a box or boxes of gifts (each child in a family got their own box of gifts) had to qualify and they could only seek help from one agency.
Once the families walked in our job was to take their number and find their box. Before they got the gifts they had to sit and listen to a 20 minute message. The message was about God. I stood their in awe and I felt very humbled to be apart of this ministry that is truly seeking to do the most good for our community members in need and that no matter the hard time they are in they should always put their trust in God and him by our side all things are possible. I think it was message I needed to be reminded of that day, as well.
My hurt truly broke when I saw one of my Ex students that to this day will always always hold a special place in my heart. She has three little children so I am so thankful that she was able and willing to seek help so her children could have a Merry Christmas. Not that many words were spoken but my prayer is that this beautiful individual is safe and happy.
My heart did break when certain individuals would complain about the gifts they received.... and then there were also the ones that tried to take advantage of the system.... How could you be so greedy when you are being offered assistance to help provide you and your family with a Merry Christmas.
I know my heart was changed forever on this day and I will always be thankful for all the many blessings I have in life. I will always strive to do the most good for my family, friends, and Community.
Thank you JLBC to opening up my eyes to so much good this year.

No comments: