Monday, August 9, 2010

Moving Forward







You get a special guest author today...not that Holly is not interested in writing her blog, I just volunteered to write a post. Forgive me if I ramble a bit, but I just wanted to write a few things from the heart and I don't know where exactly that is going to lead me.
First of all, it's strange to me to not have anything posted on the blog the last couple of weeks. I often joke with Holly that she needs to write her blog because if she doesn't, I don't know what's going on in our lives. The blog has truly become a great way to chronicle the events in our lives, big and small. So I found it strangely ironic that the single biggest event that has happened to us as a family has gone unmentioned for two weeks.

To me, the sudden death of Landry has been somewhat surreal, as if he never existed. People tell us that in time everything will be back to normal, but Landry was not in our lives long enough to change what normal was (at least for me, I know that Holly carrying him for 9 months had a far greater effect for her than it has for me). It's as though the last 9 months never happened. We returned to normal so quickly that it feels like I'm trying to forget him. I'm not. I can't. I see his face everytime I look at my cell phone. But it has been so easy to slip back to a normality without him that I sometimes think I will forget him. Again, I know that impossible, but it still one of my fears.

He died on a Monday, two weeks from today to be exact. I remember that we were going to take him home the next day. Sitting and holding him, which is all we were doing in the hospital, could have been done just as easily at home, so I convinced Holly that if he survived the night, we were going to go home on Tuesday. I think one of the main reasons that I wanted to take him home was that I wanted to show him off. All parents are proud of their children. I didn't want Landry to think that somehow I was not proud of him, so I kept hoping that I could take him to work, to playgroups, to whereever I could to show him and shout to the world how proud I was. I knew that I had a limited amount of time, so I was going to have to do a lifetime's worth of bragging in just a few days. I'm proud of Tyler, but I cannot explain how proud I am that Landry fought and held on as long as he did. I was going to show him off to the world...I just ran out of time.

I guess that is why I was so happy that so many people came to visit us in the hospital. They came to comfort Holly, our family, and me, but I didn't really feel I needed their comfort. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated it, but that's not what I wanted at the time. I was glad people showed up so they could see my boy. That they could see how proud I was of him. That, to me, meant more than anything. More than any words, more than any hugs. That my family, friends, and loved ones could see how tough Landry was, how beautiful, and how proud I was, made his loss a little less tragic. People always say when grandparents and the older generation pass away that it's OK because they lived a long, happy life. Well, to me it was comforting to know that Landry was going to pass away with so many people knowing how loved he was and how proud we were of him. I wanted to celebrate his life, and I wanted to share him with as many people as possible.

So Holly and I have returned to normal, somewhat. Tyler will occassionally ask about him. When he sees my phone he calls Landry. I always ask Tyler how Landry is doing and Tyler always tells me he's good--and that he wants a popsickle (I knew that Landry would be Tyler's shadow, I just didn't realize that popsickles were so needed in heaven!). Tyler doesn't fully understand. Much like me, the existence of Landry was so fleeting that he never really felt a change in his life. Hopefully, he will understand one day how precious life is and how his brother Landry, though only here for a brief time, will always impact how we live our lives as a family.

I've stopped crying now. They come in bursts every now and then, whenever I linger too long a memory or when I think of how others feel about his passing. Whenever I compose myself I always want to begin thanking those who mean so much to Holly and me. If I show others how thankful we are it somehow makes it better for me. You have no idea how much the support of our friends and families has meant and continues to mean. I kind of feel like an actor who, while giving his acceptance speech at the Academy Awards, says there are too many people to think individually so he just thinks all of those who have helped his career. I understand that. There are too many thanks to give to start naming names, so I'll just say thank you to all who have shared kind words, prayers, hugs, tears, and everything else to have helped us through this time. Words cannot express how much you mean to us. Thank you. Thank you.

If you see me, don't ever think you can't ask me about Landry. Don't ask me about me, I'm doing as well as can be expected. But like I said, I'm proud of Landry so I'll gladly share as many details as you'd like to know. Probably more than you like to know. But, when you're a proud parent you sometimes don't know when to stop. Feel free to ask. I think it helps me to answer.

Again, thank you for all the love and support. We are surviving because the grace of God and the support of our friends and family. You mean a lot to us and we love you. Thanks!

11 comments:

The Eidson Family said...

Ryan, that was a lovely post. I think your fourth paragraph ("He died on a Monday . . .") says it all and says it perfectly.

lvaught said...

I agree this was a perfect post and Ryan you have always been a beautiful writer...you write from the heart. Landry will never be forgotten and I agree Landry such a strong sweet little boy and as y'alls friend I feel so blessed to have held him and rocked him and to know him. Your family is so precious...we love you all so very much! xoxoxo

The New Simons said...

Hi Holly and Ryan.

My name is Rachel Simon. I'm a highschool and facebook friend of Lauren Vaught. She posted a message or status update last week regarding your loss, so I came via your facebook page to this blog. I don't know what happened to your beautiful son, Landry, but I just want to express my deepest sympathy for you and your family. I know firsthand what it is like to lose a child. I lost my daughter, Shiloh, to an umbilical cord accident in Oct 2008. I know that there are not really any words that can offer comfort. I just wanted you to know that there are (unfortunately) plenty of people out there that know of your pain and can hopefully help to guide you through this tragic time.

I guess I can give only this small piece of wisdom: Just keep breathing and putting one foot in front of the other and know that there is some sunshine after the rain... even though you probably can't imagine it now.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Much love to you and your family.

Heather B. said...

Absolutely breathtaking. He will certainly not be forgotten. This sweet, precious little boy has changed so many people and the way they live their lives. I certainly know he has changed mine. Such a handsome little angel!! Many prayers to your family! Love you all very much!

The Curtis Crew said...

Beautifully written. Thank you for sharing your heart with those of us who are grieving for you. Continuing to pray for you, Holly and Ty and the grandparents.

Holly Steele said...

Thank you, Ryan for having the strength to write this. I truly admire you.I think you have giving me the courage to start posting again. Thank you for being an amazing husband and father. We love you so much!!

Vanessa said...

Ryan, I snoop on your family on here and just want you to know we're praying for all of you. What a blessing that Landry lived a few days so you guys could hold him and family and friends could meet him.

Well done with the writing as well. I guess all that doctoral work has paid off ;)

sarah e. said...

What a great Dad you are. I know your little boy was a strong and amazing little man. Thanks for sharing about him and writing this post, so much love. I'm thankful to meet him through your words.
Vanessa sent me the link. Its been entirely too long since we've talked. You have such a beautiful family.
We love you and are praying for all of you.

-sarah and ryan

Unknown said...

I am proud of Landry, too. What a tough boy. He was so lucky to have a dad like you, Ryan. When I see him in heaven one day, I'm going to tell him some good stories about his dad.

The Armstrong Family said...

What wonderful words and feelings to document about your precious son. Holly, I know it must mean so much to you that Ryan took the time to do this for you and help you move forward. It brought tears to my eyes...
The pictures are beautiful and your sweet Landry will never ever be forgotten. He was incredibly blessed to have such proud parents!

Margaret said...

Such a beautiful post and although we have only met a couple of times, I feel as though I know you so well from Holly always so proudly talking about you, Ty, and Landry in person and on her blog. I wish I had met little Landry, but the pictures say so much. What an amazing little one. Your story has touched my heart and your son has touched the souls of many. What a fighter, he was on this earth just long enough to impact on the world.