Friday, March 4, 2011

It Only Comes Back Stronger

Last Saturday, I started having sever tooth pain on my upper left tooth. I have always been the one to keep up with my teeth and Dentists appointments but I guess one minor cavity went unnoticed for too long.
Last July I went for my 6 month dental check- up and they noticed from the films of my teeth that I had a cavity on my upper left tooth. I have only had one other cavity before this one and it was when I was pregnant with Tyler and funny that my second one came when I was pregnant with Landry... I guess I only get cavities when I am pregnant... anyway they scheduled my appointment for July 28, 2010. I thought I would still be pregnant at the time of this appointment, but instead I was attending Landry's Funeral. Weeks and months went by and I forgot about my tooth because it did not hurt. I went back in January for my 6 month dentist appointment and they did not mention anything to me about getting my cavity filled, and to be honest I did not even think about it while I was there. Time just kept going by and I was not having any problems until last weekend when the pain was strong and on Sunday night I broke down and called the emergency number for our Dentist Office. Thankfully, I got a call a hour later, but besides Tylenol (I went to HEB and bought every tooth ache product I could find and nothing seemed to work) there was nothing much he could do until I came in, and he got me a appointment for the next afternoon at 3.
Monday afternoon they took more films of my teeth and the cavity had grown and there was a infection. The Dental Hygienist asked me what I waited so long and I told her that I had not felt any pain and during the scheduled apt we had a family emergency come up (it was not our normal Hygienist so I did not want to tell her the whole story) and after that I put it in the back of mind thinking it would go away. The Nurse looked at me and said" you can not hide from the truth because it will always comes back and when it does come back it is normally bigger and stronger than it was at the beginning." I just there and played that statement over and over in my head. That comment sounds a lot like grief. The pain you feel from your grief will never go away until you face it head on.
Therefore, I will be facing my tooth and all the pain head on, Monday, March 13 for a root canal. The cavity ended up being too close to a vein so the only way that they can get it all is with a root canal. Thankfully, I am on 2 forms of antibiotics so the pain is not as intense.
My ignoring the problem landed me my first root canal, and it is all because the cavity I got with Landry. I would take another cavity from Landry if needed, just for a moment to have him back with me.

1 comment:

Crystal Hammond said...

I'd take a cavity just so you could have Landry back.